IFA Legislative priorities for 2017:
- Increase the funding for the Iowa Fire Marshal Office and Fire Service Training Bureau to replace lost FTE’s and strengthen the training of firefighters
- Continue efforts to fund fire and EMS service through existing codes, including to a minimum standard, and to allow for expansion of laws to allow entities to reform if necessary, including the reinstatement of benefitted districts
- Continue to oppose any effort for the legalization of consumer fireworks
- Establish cancer presumption coverage for Iowa’s volunteer firefighters
- Establish a plan for individual retirement accounts for volunteer firefighters
- Continue to work with groups to help provide Next Generation 911 service in statewide network
What YOU can do to help IFA pass important legislation to help Iowa Firefighters!
- Check your email for updates and action alerts.
- Take action and contact your legislators.
- Attend a legislative forum in your district.
- Follow-up with IFA and let us know the legislators’ feedback
- Attend the Legislative Breakfast on January 26th and Firefighters Day on the Hill on March 2nd.
- Check the IFA website on a regular basis for updates: www.iafireassn.org
How to Contact Your Legislators
- To find your legislators go to: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/find. Type in your address and you will see your State Representative and State Senator.
- Visit the association website at www.iafireassn.org for more information on legislative priorities for 2017 and share with your legislators.
- Contact them! The Iowa legislative website will provide you with your legislators email and/or telephone number.