The Hall of Flame at the Iowa State Fair has undergone a major renovation. It has a whole new look and a lot of good teaching tools. The entire display looks like the inside of a fire station.
The display has:
- a new stop, drop and roll area
- a small house for crawl low in smoke simulations
- 9-1-1 simulations
- Sparky the Dog has been brought out of retirement
- a scaled down fire truck (pick up size) where kids can turn on lights and sirens and use the radio
- a working fire alarm system
- firefighter’s gear on display
- fire extinguishers
- and a wall dedicated to the Firefighters Memorial in Coralville.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: THANK YOU once again to everyone that helped in any way at the Hall of Flame during the 2015 Iowa State Fair!! Your help was GREATLY appreciated!! Mark your calendars now – the dates for the 2017 fair will be August 10th – 20th. We need volunteers to staff the booth in 4 hour shifts each day. Shifts are 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. and 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. Volunteers receive a Hall of Flame t-shirt and a ticket for admission to the fair. You can work your shift and spend the rest of the day enjoying the Iowa State Fair! If you are interested in helping out e-mail Ashley Hockman at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-689-6110.
Hall of Flame Challenge: This is a challenge to all departments and county associations to consider a $250 donation to the Hall of Flame to help with future updates and continued upkeep. All donations can be sent to:
Iowa Firefighters Association
Hall of Flame
P.O. Box 67
Humboldt, IA 50548